Ever since I was a child, I had a fascination with cameras. In fact, I never really had nice cellphones because I would rather choose to get a digital camera over that. When I was in the 6th grade (2004), I went to Australia and my mom brought her Nikon Digital camera. Obviously, she didn’t know how to operate it therefore I was the one who used it throughout the trip. I was amazed that instead of the usual film that we use, an SD card was invented to store photos. Because of the advancement of technology, you can transfer those photos to your computer and you can even choose which ones to print. I was only 12 years old back then. I REALLY FOUND THAT SO COOL!
Digital cameras were becoming more popular during that time (2006). In addition, social networking sites such as Friendster, Pinoyster, Hipster, Myspace and the like were becoming the pastime of our generation. So what is the connection between digital cameras, the internet, and the social networking sites? Well, a good profile picture of course! Many of my friends had Friendster accounts and I remember that I would always ask my friends to make me a “testi” or testimonial. Unfortunately, Friendster only allowed you to upload a certain amount of profile pictures. Aside from Friendster, people started writing about their lives through Xanga and Tabulas. The term “blog” wasn’t that popular back then. People used to call it, “Online Journals.” I remember having both but I never really uploaded my pictures there. Not everyone liked to write therefore it was only famous to certain groups. With the rise of digital cameras, Friendster slowly died and was replaced by the site, Multiply.
The reason why I asked my mom to buy me a digital camera was because of my Multiply site. Unlike Friendster, Multiply is more flexible when it comes to uploading photos. You can create albums and upload as much as 1000 photos per album. People even used it to sell products. When people did not have smart phones yet, everyone had a digital camera with them. In fact, even if a group of friends are attending the same event, they always had to upload their own album which had the same pictures. Isn’t that so funny? I just realized how silly I was before because I would do the same. There is also a Journal section in multiply which people barely used. People would rather write in their Tabulas, Xanga, livejournal and blogspot accounts and little by little, bloggers were starting to have followers.
People eventually forgot about digital cameras when smartphones came out. Multiply was forgotten when Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram were born. People realized that they didn’t need digital cameras anymore. Why? Because transferring your photos from your digital camera to the computer became a tedious process. People wanted everything fast therefore through their smartphones they were able to upload their pictures in their social media accounts in a snap.
Until today people still use Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram to share their lives. Bloggers however, have a huge following already. Before, people relied on TV only to advertise but now these bloggers are being used to promote all sorts of things. I assume it’s because people see them as credible.
So why am I writing this? Well it’s because I would like to tell you all why I started to blog. I apologize for the lengthy introduction. Aside for my interest with digital cameras, the reason why I started Margagoes.com is because I wanted to INSPIRE. Most of you know that Erwan Heussaff featured me in the Fat Kid Inside regarding my weight loss. I was actually very blessed that he chose to share my story (you can read it in my blog too!). My instagram has always been private. When that article was released, people started to follow me. I don’t really accept people I don’t know therefore I had an idea of making my blog official.
It was first called, “make the most out of life” but it was too long therefore I changed it to “Marga goes”. In my blog you’ll see a lot of travel and food posts because that’s what I love to do! TRAVEL and EAT. When I launched my blog a lot of people came up to me and told me that they wanted to start blogging too. I felt really happy because I was able to inspire people to start writing.
So here are my tips:
- You do not have to buy an expensive camera! You can use your smartphone to take pictures. If you don’t have photoshop, you can go to fotor.com to edit your pictures. Although, having a professional camera would be nice but you do not need it.
- Blog about things that you’re passionate about. I mentioned that I love to travel and eat therefore bulk of my entries are about those two things.
- Use an already made template for your site. People think that you need to be extra techy to customize your site but NO. You just have to pick the right template and tweak it a bit to match your entries.
- If you already have an existing blog, all you need to do is buy a domain at mydomain.com and connect it to your blog. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO START FROM ZERO!
- We all have to start somewhere. Some people blog for monetary incentives but I realized it shouldn’t be that way. Blog to INSPIRE and share your passion to the world. You shouldn’t do it for the sake of money only. Do it to help others! Example, I posted an entry regarding my Phuket adventure. I did this because I wanted people to know where to go, what to eat, how much to bring and the like.
- Make sure you share your entries in your facebook, instagram, and twitter sites. This way you can gain more followers.